Monday, March 5, 2012

Banananananaaaaaaa

I spent some time poking around the internet for a "healthy" banana bread recipe. I have raved about the banana bread recipe from Flour, but it's not exactly the type of thing you feel good eating for breakfast (feel good being, good for you, it makes me very happy to eat cake for breakfast).
Over the years I've found several recipes using applesauce or yogurt instead of oil, but it can yield a gummy texture to the loaf of bread, so I was hoping to find a recipe that wasn't going to do that. I poked and poked and came across several which had some good stuff going for them, finally I picked one and modified it to suit.

Here goes:
3.5 mashed bananas
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
dash of allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2-3/4 cup chocolate chips
You know the drill, mix the wet, mix the dry, add the dry to the wet, stir in the nuts and chips. Pour in a pan and bake. (350 for about 45-50 minutes worked quite well. Then again, I think my oven bakes hot, and the loaf did get browner than expected, but who knows.)




This batter felt pretty loose when I threw it together so I crossed my fingers and hoped it would turn out okay. And it did. The texture is not the light fluffy quick bread with mounds of butter and white flour, but it's not gummy either. And there was nice carmelization in the crust from the brown sugar. And there are chocolate chips, so enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment