Sunday, April 8, 2012

Polish Easter Babka

King Arthur Flour has one of the greatest baking blogs I've found. They are so thorough and have such great descriptions of their recipes. Not just that, but reading the blog is also pretty entertaining. A few days ago they posted a recipe for Polish Babka. I saw that and an Easter sweetbread with eggs and was torn which one to make. Then I remembered that I don't really have the patience for traditional yeast doughs, so I went with the babka.

I followed the recipe pretty much to a T, using some dried cranberries instead of candied fruit and grating in some orange rind as well. I also (1) don't have a bundt pan and (2) couldn't for the life of me find one at the grocery store or Marshall's, so I baked it in a loaf pan. A little less glamorous, and because the bread rose, not successful in soaking with rum syrup on the top and frosting on the bottom, so, frosting went on the top too.

It was sitting on the counter (husband wanted to eat some for breakfast but it hadn't been frosted yet) and I was going to wait until post-run to have a slice (see soaked with rum), but actually waited until we got back from Easter dinner. It's quite lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment