Friday, March 1, 2013

Cranberry Almond Coconut Granola plus a Greek Yogurt Review

Gosh, as a food blogger, I was seriously missing the Greek yogurt post, so never fear, I'm going to tell you about my favorite one... but first, granola!
 
After a Whole Foods purchase of cranberry-almond granola that was pretty darn crunchy, I asked a coworker who had brought granola to a potluck what she uses as a recipe. The response was basically "the internet, do what you want, it's easy". So to the internet I went! I cobbled together from a few recipes and came up with a fairly standard granola - cranberries, almond, coconut. I was inspired by Joy the Baker and a few other recipes for proportions.

This stuff was yummy! I used maple syrup as a sweetener, which along with the cranberries gives this a homey New England feel.  The coconut is almost like a secret umami flavor. AND I didn't burn it!

A tip - absolutely shop the bulk section of Whole Foods. These oats were 99 cents/lb for instance. Also, it shouldn't surprise anyone that I used the leftover coconut in a loaf of banana bread. I'm thinking I should do a series of posts on banana bread.... For instance, I recently made Ina Garten's old fashioned banana cake for a Chinese New Year party.

And finally, I waver on Greek yogurt. Some brands I feel are very chalky, others I don't like the vanilla flavoring and their plain is so sour that I end up flavoring with honey. I'm a little yogurt picky. However, I've stumbled across Cabot Vanilla Greek Yogurt and it's by far my favorite. It's not quite as dense as some other Greek yogurts, but it's not terrifically sweet and has an honest vanilla flavor.

I think that earns me a certified food blogger stamp of approval. What's your stereotypical food blog post? What's your favorite Greek yogurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment