- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar (and extra for coating the dough before baking - I've been using demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups flour
1. Cream butter & sugar, add molasses while mixing at a slow speed, then add baking soda, salt, spices. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well. Scrape down sides of the bowl, then stir in flour.
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Shape/scoop the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, roll them in sugar and put on cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool on pan for 10 minutes before cooling completely on racks.
(Corners will be soft & puffy, if the bottoms can lift off the pan without braking they can come out of the oven.)
4. EAT :)
Ahhh, these are the best. If there were eggs and sugar in the house right now I would totally bake them!